Skip to main content

Sushi rolls for "Setsubun"

Feb. 3rd was a day before the first day of spring in the traditional Japanese calendar, Japanese people call the day "Setsubun".

We sow roasted soybeans in own houses and gardens to drive out evil spirits and welcome good luck, shouting "Oni wa Soto" and "Fuku wa Uchi", which means "demons out" and "fortune in".

The special dish on that day is sushi rolls called "Ehomaki".

Usually, sushi rolls are cut into bite-sized pieces, but "Ehomaki" is a whole sushi roll before cutting.  

When you eat it, you need to face the lucky direction of the year that is believed to bring you good fortune.  And you have to eat it at one time without stopping and saying something, making wishes!

I made 6 types of "Ehomaki", cucumber, cucumber with pickled plum, tuna, fermented soybean (Natto), Salad and Japanese barbecue (Yakiniku) with leaf lettuce.


The rice is brown, because I added brown coconut sugar to it as seasoning.

May my family live healthy and happily!


Good with Wakame seaweed soup!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

English muffin

 I made English muffins for the first time in a while. They contain rye flour and yoghurt. I toast them and put butter or egg salad on them. A few days later, I found the discounted English muffins at a supermarket because of approaching the expiration date. As I wrote before, the English muffins at a supermarket triggered my bread making life, and they are the very English muffins! I bought one package. Both are good. Mine are chewy, and the readymade ones soft and fluffy.